Sunday, July 24, 2011

Off alone/beach/Appetivo

Got up around 8:30---got more sleep this night because I was so tired from the night before I could drown out the snoring. I had breakfast which was the same as the day before and was off back to Jo's. I would go alone for the first time--keeping my fingers crossed I knew which bus and which stop to get off. Luckily the buses were working again today so I hopped on and successfully made it back to repack my bags.
Then I was off to the Metro to take it to Laurentina where I would meet Alessandro. Today Alessandro and his friend Fabritizio would take me to another beach--this one more public called Zion Beach. When I got there 8 or so of his friends were there so I was introduced to them--normally they kiss each cheek as hello but because I was American and we hand shake they did just that with me. A few of them knew English but mostly did not so I kept quiet most of the time. Alessandro would fill me in every few minutes, but I mainly listened to their conversation without knowing a thing.
This beach was way more packed, but had lounge chairs which was nice. It also had many vball courts and a hut for drinks and food. Alessandro brought cherries though so we just ate those. We got about 8 chairs together and relaxed a bit---it was a very windy though. The waves were huge and no one was in the water. The wind got to be very bad and we ended up leaving within the hour because we were all eating sand and getting it in our eyes.
We went to his Fabritzio's apartment which was very nice---had a really nice elevator, 2 bedrooms/2baths, a huge patio, large living room---very classy place. He let me shower off and we hung out for about an hour just talking---he knew very little English so we struggled to communicate. Alessandro would try to help explain for each of us when he could.
Then we were off to Appetivo (for 10 Euros its an all-you-can-eat appetizers with one drink deal). This is the first time I was driven in car in the city---and boy was it crazy. I guess seat belts were just made legal last year and only the front seat needs to wear them----thats crazy--I definitely put mine on in the back and they both laughed at me. There are no rules when it comes to driving--it is nuts. Cars are in the middle of the lanes---going everywhere--basically playing chicken all the time, dodging tourist, always stop/go. All the cars are manuals too so its always a constant stop/go. I thought Chicago was bad, but Chicago has nothing on this--its pure chaos. And then parking is a whole nother issue. They park anywhere and everywhere--even if that means blocking in another car. And motorinos squeeze into the smallest spots as well.
When we arrived at the restaurant they ordered some wine. There is a huge book---basically like a photo album which they choose the wines. It took them about 20 min to select and decide on one and they did they every new bottle they chose (had 5 bottles that night). I had no idea what I was trying but every white wine we had was very tasty-went down very smooth--I had them suggest some wines for me so I could bring home the very best!
I tried a bunch of different things: wrap with this ham in it, salad with tuna on it (I really liked this), rigatoni pasta with not all the way cooked noodles and marinara, break pocket with tuna in it, mini mini pizzas with tomato sauce (my favorite), white bread in a circle with cream and a raw fish slice on it (did not like this), small bread sandwiches with cucumber and white sauce--these were ok, not a whole lot of taste.
I met more of his friends---there were 10 of us there. Again most of his friends spoke Italian so I sat there in Italian most of the time. Alessandro filled me in every now and then but basically I listened to their conversation not knowing what they were talking about. Some of his friends knew English and would start conversation with or ask me what I think of Rome, but many time they didn't know the words I used so Alessandro would help me. It was very unusual to not speak and to sit in silence for the majority of the meal. Amy called me after we had ate and it felt really good to speak English again for the 2 min we were on the phone. I felt like I was not contributing at all, but I couldn't. I was catching on a bit by the end and could laugh and get involved into a conversation by recognizing the words but that was it.
His friends were all between the ages of 29-37, however, looked and acted much like 25-28 year olds. I guess they age more slowly in Italy. Many of his friends smoked which was fairly annoying, but almost everyone in Italy does so its the norm.
I had three plates of food (there plates were small, old- rectangular shaped plates) and was stuffed. The buffet kept changing so Alessandro would be like ohhhh try this or that----so I had so much to eat.
Then we jumped back in the car and went to the best gelato place in Rome. It was called San Crispino by Trevi Fountain. Wow was it amazing! I had a 3Euro cup of banana and San Crispino (the traditional flavor which was honey and cream). The gelato was so creamy and contained pieces of honeycomb and banana but which melted in your mouth. Topped with a little whipped cream it was outstandingly delicious.
Now when I said bye to his friends--now that we were friends, I acted as an Italian and kissed each one of them on the side of the cheek (this was normal so I felt very comfortable----always go to the right then the left).
Then the guys drove me to the hotel where I talked with Amy's parents about what each of us did since Amy was already sleeping. Since Amy was out and not moving she was covering most of the bed and I didn't want to wake her so I made myself comfortable on the floor with some blankets and was out like a light. I remember my hip being really sore from the ground, but I was so tired I didn't really move at all. Full and tastefully satisfied---what a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment