Thursday, July 28, 2011

Last day/flights home

We had to get up super early--4:30AM to get to the airport for my flight. It was still dark out as we put our last minute luggage together and were off to Fiumicino Airport. Driving even this early was insane, no lane distinction and speed limit really didn't matter. Everyone is a middle of the lane driver. I said my good-byes and dearest thank you's to Alessandro and headed to check-in. I accidentally cut the line which was wrapped like all the way around the corner but didn't realize that until after. I walked through the duty free shops and walked around a bit before boarding.
First flight to Brussels---smooth, quick 2 hr flight--I was exhausted so I fell asleep for all but 20 minutes of the flight. When I landed I had to go through 3 sets of customs/security to my next connecting airplane. They were very very strict in Brussels. This was a very large airport and had lots and lots of stores and restaurants. I had to go through Border control, regular customs, and security again at my gate, along with everyone else so there were lines everywhere. Even to board the plan, they checked all my documents again.
Flight to Philadelphia---this was the long haul about 8 hrs. I got fed on this ride----got rice, grilled veggies in marinara sauce, with a bun, salad and fruit salad. Then I took a nap, woke up and walked around the plane and read (Amy let me borrow Water for Elephants---which kept me busy). I drifted off a few times during the flight but this one seemed to take forever. I remember getting up to stretch and asking the flight attendant how long we had been flying (it felt like 8) and she said about 3 hours----Oh boy this was going to be a long 8 hrs then! For lunch I got a cold panini----which was just some sauce and cold cheese--not very good at all but I ate it. I felt US Airways had some very rude staff, when I got up to bring my water bottle to a flight attendant for some water, she replied "I just came around with water" and gave me an irritated face. I was insulted---someone didn't like their job! Eventually the plane ride was over.
After landing Philadelphia, I had to claim by bag and then put it back on a transfer belt and head off to the my last flight. Wow this airport is gigantic. I had a few hours so I walked around and shopped---there was a Gap outlet, Hallmark, lots of clothing and jewelry stores---this place was awesome so I easily burned a couple hours here. I just liked being off a plane I think! Wow did it feel good to hear English and see English on signs!
Soon enough it was time to board and I was ready for my final flight. The flight was only a couple hours and was a very smooth, fast flight. I read the entire time and soon it was over. Natalie was picking me up in my car and we were off! Wow it felt good to be with family again. The whole family wouldn't return until the next day because they went to Starve Rock with the Strahs. This meant a quiet house for the night---I think I unpacked, made some dinner, and went to bed around 9!
What a great trip to Italy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment