This morning I woke up at 9AM-----a full nine hours of sleep and felt great. Wow what a feeling waking up in Rome! I waited for Amy to wake up and then we went to the Market just outside the apartment. The market has all the freshest fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese, bread, flowers from local growers. Everything was written in Italian so we assumed what looked to be a peach, apple, orange, banana and went from there to pick out fruit. Amy had tried some of the fruit already and so we got a few pieces that were a pear/peach mix, ones that were red juicy plums, peaches, bananas, a half a watermelon, bread, and tomatoes. It was hard trying to communicate with the sellers because of the language barrier, but most could tell we were American and would put fingers up to help us out. We actually started talking to one of the veggie sellers, but in Spanish. We found a common language that we both knew and could communicate that way. It was a bit hard for me to do so because I have not used it in awhile, but I could understand a little bit and we chat for about 5 minutes. I struggled remembering some of the nouns, and he had to repeat himself a few times, but I really enjoyed being able to communicate in some way.
When we returned to the apartment, I quickly made us some sandwiches and fruit to take with for the day and we were off to the bus. We went all the way to St. Peters Basilica but just to see it from a distance, use the public restroom (had to wait in a line and this man called us in after a woman left the bathroom), and fill up our water bottles in the public spouts all around town. There were fountains in a lot of places in the city where one could fill up their water bottle and this water was refreshing cold--how it got like that, I have no clue but it was great.
It was off to find the hotel which Amy's parents would stay in, which was very simple and just down the road from the Vatican. After that we decided to head down Via di Rienzio which had tons of side market carts and local shops. We shopped up the street, looking at all kinds of dresses, shirts, skirts----such cute European style clothing. While we were shopping, we stopped at a market and a guy started talking to us. He pointed to his eyes and ask "Naturale" to me and "Contactos?" I guess I looked at him kinda funny, because Amy goes, "are your eyes natural." I said yes they were my natural eyes and he said they were very beautiful and asked what we were doing tonight. We kind of brushed off his question and he went on to tell us he would take us to his "special place." At this time I looked at Amy and said "lets go." We quickly moved away and he kept calling after us down the street but I was not turning back----first encounter with an Italian market man and I was very creeped out.
We went all the way to the Ponte Margherita bridge which we crossed to Piazza del Popolo. This is probably one of my favorite piazzas because it so open. Its a huge circle with a box pyramid in the center with 4 lion fountains (much like the lion at the Brookfield Zoo), 2 massive twin churches bordering one side, Maria del Popolo church on the other end (well know where many important, religious figures were buried, ranked #2 church to see in Rome), and a long stairway leading to a top view of the piazza.
Of course we took the stairs up and what a truly amazing sight from the top. I could see over the Roman city, all the beautiful architecture, the entire piazza, tops of trees, and buildings for miles---what beauty. Just behind the view was a gorgeous Borghese Garden. This Garden was gigantic--lots of paths, parks, fountains, grassy areas---this is where we ate our lunch and hung out taking in the scenery. We had one issue and that was a bathroom----we found a public one but were told it would cost a Euro---ummmm $1.50 I don't think so to use the bathroom. We found a cafe just down the way and could use theirs. What a shame to have to charge for a toliet.
After exploring the Gardens we headed back to the Piazza del Popolo and walked down Via di Repetta which had a bunch of local shops all about to close (approaching 8PM). We kept walking until we reached Trinita dei Monte where I completed the tradition--took a sip out of the fountain. This place is called the Spanish Steps and is filled with tourists all crowding around the steps, taking all kinds of pictures so we kept going down. This is also where alot of pick-pocketing happens.
We continued to Via del Corso (a very touristy street with lots of shops including H&M--which we went into-much like home but European style obviously). We decided it was a long day and jumped on the bus from here back home. We each had a baked potato for dinner and called it a night. Another great day in Rome but our feet were beginning to ache! I am enjoying every minute---I would have to say my favorite part about today was still being able to communicate with that guy this morning---how special Amy and I felt being able to strike up a conversation and relay information back and forth.
No comments:
Post a Comment