Thursday, July 21, 2011

Father Dave lunch/club

We had a late wake-up this morning due to all the sun we got yesterday and rolled out of bed at 10. Amy and I took the bus to the Colosseum and walked around the area for awhile. Wow there are tons and tons of tourists and I see why pickpockets stay in these areas---everyone is oblivious when it comes to attractions.
We were heading toward San Giovanni Laterno (church) when we met a priest, Father Dave along the walk. We were enjoying the Roman side streets when he introduced himself and asked for directions to the same church we were walking to.
Father Dave was from New York and was traveling for a self reflection/break from his current church. He wanted "to get away for awhile" and want to be "far away." He was a very nice man who talked with Amy about religious destinations and shared some educational conversation.
We ended up going to the church together and then walked to Via Merulana-Cocini where he treated us to lunch. He was returning the lunch favor he got yesterday. I got a lovely salad and we all shared  bottle of red wine, water, and a margarita pizza (cheese and tomato). We talked about traveling and what had we seen in Rome and enjoyed some tiramisu for dessert (not my favorite because its rich in coffee flavor but tried a bit). We thanked him for his kind lunch and we all proceeded into the Piazza Maria Maggiore (Mary Magdaline) and the church. This church was another large one with an attached museum which we went to. Amy was very interested in seeing the churches and I think really enjoyed talking and getting some suggestions from Father Dave.
After this Amy I headed back to Piazza della Republica which is a huge traffic circle with restaurants and a fountain in the center. This is where one of the McDonalds is. The name is written in gold letters and the Romans only go here on special occasion. The sandwiches are about 5-6 Euros ($7-9) and its seen as a real treat to have this food. We proceed to walk to Porta Pia where we saw many apartments. All the Italians live in apartments or condos. No one owns a house since the property to live on is very small.
Then we went back to her friends apartment and headed out for a run. We ran for about 20 min around the neighborhood and then turned around. Unfortunately, we got all tangled up in which way we went that we got lost, we kept running and making turns but we really had no idea where we were at. We decided after 45 min to ask someone for help. Luckily one woman knew English and helped us on to a bus. When we got down the road we still had no idea so we walked to another bus stop and then Amy recognized the area. I was a bit nervous  because we had no map, no cell phones and had no idea where I was. I couldn't help Amy at all since I had only been there 3 days, but we ended up only being one block away---we started laughing at how close we were and had no idea where we were at.
We finally made it back, had to shower quickly and jump back on the bus to Termini where we would meet Alessandro. Alessandro was going to show Amy and I some nightlife in Rome!! He took us to Visto Club which was amazing. He had to park about 15-20min away because there was a huge festival going on and parking was ridiculous. Italians park in any little spot as possible---they even park perpendicular to the curb because there cars are so tiny they can.
To get into the club, we had to be on a list and luckily Lucca (Alessandro's friend) put us on there. I felt like a movie star having to be on the list. When we walked up the stairs to the entrance ,they handed you an IN ticket. In order to get an OUT ticket you had to buy one drink. Alessandro went to the bar to get us one----I tried a pineapple and run drink which was delicious. This place was huge!! It was all outdoor on a second floor with no roof, flashing lights, two DJ's--one singing and performing and one mixing, played a lot of American music. Amy and I looked at each other during one of the songs and said "We are in Rome, dancing to Michael Jackson, holding a drink in hand and can see part of the Forum, what a night." I heard mixes of Adele, Rihanna, MJ, Enrique Inglesias, amongst other American artists in between a few authentic Italian songs, but everyone in the club knew the American words and were all singing along.
I taught Lucca the fist pump move, which no one knew there. I did it a few times and he looked at me kinda funny and said whats this move? So during almost every song he would pull it out somewhere and I just laughed to myself!
I had such a great night dancing away. We danced until 3AM which came way too quickly, I haven't been up at that time in a while but here it felt very normal and quite early actually. The bar started to put the lights on so we knew it was time to go. I handed my out ticket to the bouncer and we started the long trek to the car.
On the walk back to the car, we chatted with Lucca and Alessandro and for some reason started talking about the crazy driving and motorinos. We shared with them that we call some of our motorcycles crotch rockets and they were really intrigued. They asked what a crotch was and this was hilarious because gave the typical "suck-it" demo while pointing to general crotch area---I was crying because I was laughing so hard. This conversation just turned a bit abnormal but it was hilarious! I think we taught them something new---crotch rocket!
Alessandro kindly drove Amy and I back to her friends where we crashed at about 4AM. What a great night out!

No comments:

Post a Comment