Sunday, July 17, 2011

Airport--Philadelphia--Rome

Mom, Dad, and Lauren took me to O,Hare at noon. My suitcase was only 39.5lbs so I was set through check-in. I hugged everyone goodbye, even had a group hug which Lauren requested and was off. Security was quick and painless and then decided to walk around a bit before my plane boarded.
About half-way into the flight the pilot told us we were having A/C problems and had dropped down to 10,000 ft. At this time the plane was getting hot and there was no air coming through the vents. At 10,000 ft the plane would burn twice as much fuel and we would not make it to Philadelphia, our destination so we had to stop in Pittsburgh. By this time the plane had dropped to 9,000 ft and a little cooler air was coming. I looked to my left across the aisle and this heavier set man was just dripping and wiping off his brow. It was starting to get quite toasty in the plane!
The pilot safely landed the plane and everyone clapped, wow did it feel good to get off and be on the ground. I guess the problems were worse than they were sharing, in order to keep everyone calm. Once we all got off, we had to call the help line/wait in a long line to get rerouted. I didn't know who to turned to so I called the information line and had a rep change my flight. Luckily there was one American A flight and I got switched to it immediately. I had to run down to the gate and board right away. They were not sure if my bags would make it but at the very last second, they told me my bags were there. I was super relieved.
This plane ride was only an hr and a half to JFK, in NYC. While flying though there was a fast twist-the plane went from turn on one wing rapidly a 180 to the other wing and gave us all a little shake. That made me a little nervous, but we landed safely and I was off to find my next and final gate. There I had a 2 hour lay-over which I walked around for and talked to a guy named Rafael. He was originally from Italy but lives as a musician in NYC. I met him in the currency exchange line where he told me it was better to exchange when I got to Italy because the exchange rates were better. We swapped hometown and travel experiences. He was going on tour in Italy and visiting his gf there. He shared some of his favorite places and we talked for about an hour. Our plane was delayed a half hour due to cleaning it, but soon we were eventually in the air. I was toward the back of the plane this ride. I sat on the end of the middle row had an open seat next to me which was nice. I was exhausted so fell asleep for about a half hour in the beginning of the ride and then was served dinner. Boy was I starving too----pesto tortellini, bread roll, crackers--it was an okay meal. Not the best tasting pesto but filled me up. Then I put my mask on and went to sleep for 4-5 hours. I woke up the last hour and half of the flight, got breakfast (only a crescent) but I had a leftover apple which I brought on and landed safely. I couldn't see much of the land but a few trees and the runway.
------Now technically its the 18th of July ------
When I got off, I had to take a monorail to the baggage claim. Again not much to be seen but a few trees still. I picked up my bag fairly quickly and was off to find the train.
As I was stepping out of the airport into the transportation section, I soon spotted the typical Italian culture. Men openly gawk at women and steer rather intrusively. They stare up and down women as they walk past no matter how close one is to them. As I was exiting I saw a guy who looked like security move his head as he followed a woman about 2 feet from him with a close glare. My first reaction was "Eww disgusting" but I remembered the culture difference and kept walking.
There were many signs in Italian with English underneath so I found my way without a problem. I bought a 14Euro ($19) ticket to Termini (the main station). The train would leave in just 8 min so I was off to catch it. I boarded and got my bags all situated. There was no air on this train so it was hot! I was dripping down my arm, face, brow---but it didn't bother me. I met a guy in my seating area who was from NC and South America and we chatted for the half hour ride about traveling and business. He had spent a year in South America studying abroad which was neat to hear about.
Once I got off the train, I was ecstatic to see Amy waiting for me. I couldn't believe she was there! I was so happy! She took one of my suitcases and I gave her a huge hug. We walked and talked all the way through the big station Termini (actually the largest station in Rome where all the trains from everywhere come in) and to the bus. No one paid for the buses in Italy, so we just jumped on the 90 Express which went to her friends apartment. It was just a block down from the stop. The bus ride was about a half hour though. I finally could drop my bags down and it was great to be in a home. It was a good-size apartment. One bedroom, one bathroom, but a huge outdoor patio which was same size as the inside, a large living room which is where Amy and I slept and a small kitchen. I changed my clothes and ate some yogurt and dried fruit and then was off to be guided around by Amy.
We jumped back on a bus to Via del Tritone. I kept peering out the bus windows at all the beautiful architecture, buildings, traffic, and people. What an antique place. When we reached our stop, the first thing I saw was Trevi Fountain--famous and tourist attraction. Crowds of people swarm the fountain and its tradition to throw a coin with your right hand over your left shoulder so Amy let me borrow a coin and I made the tradition happen!
Then we walked across traffic (there are really cars and mopeds just everywhere and a five way stop/go everywhere). The streets feel like alley ways really but since small compact cars (much like golf cars) are the only cars they drive, they all fit down the streets. We walked to the Pantheon next--
Then to Piazza Navona which a huge city centre where we watched a magician/comedian do a few tricks, saw an open art sale, tons of restaurants, and massive statues. We walked around and it seemed at every corner there was a new building, more Roman history. The buildings are just huge and very impressive. By 8:30PM we were starting to head home and had to catch two buses back. We got back around 10 and we were starving and tired. I met Fabio (Amy's friends bf) and he made us some spaghetti and tuna sauce (I have never put tuna in my sauce before but it was very tasty. Johanna (Amy's friend from her hometown in OH) came home around 10:30 from work and school (getting MBA here in International Business). We talked for a bit and then it was bed time for everyone. I slept with Amy on the pull out which is the most comfortable pull out ever! I was out within minutes of laying down!

No comments:

Post a Comment